Friday, February 3, 2017

Incorrect Analyses of Plato

For my blog post this week I would like to discuss the idea of the psyche in Phaedo. There are many analyses online that focus on the idea that in Phaedo there is direct mention of the "soul". I feel like this may be a product of the Jowett translations. People automatically assume that when Socrates and the others are discussing immortality, they are discussing their souls. To me it is interesting how wide spread this misconception is because there is really no believe in a soul in ancient Greece as we discussed in class. However it seems to be such a widely spread idea that Socrates was discussing the afterlife in a monotheistic religious way. I find it rather amusing, given that our idea of the afterlife is largely based off of christian ideology. I knew that Benjamin Jowett tainted much of Plato's translations, but I had no idea how wide spread the misconception was. It is also interesting to me because I find myself having to really rework my thought processes while rereading this text. It is so easy to just automatically assume that when someone talks about death and moving on after death they are discussing Heaven and Hell but that is why it is crucial to dive into the culture of the text and not look at it through your own culture.

4 comments:

  1. I think that the tendency to interpret Plato's dialogues as mystical doctrine goes well beyond public domain translations of him. Many of his contemporaries were much more forthcoming with their metaphysical pronouncements. It is interesting to consider what moments in early Christian literature stem from demonstrable Greek echoes, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting point! I now wonder how much religions influence each other in any aspect. Since language is passed down maybe echos of past religions are passed down too.

      Delete
  2. Probably a lot of confusion arises out of the character's adherence to oracles, dreams, and the voice of the god within him. In the Euthyphro, Apology, and Crito, Socrates makes at least passing reference to (and at certain points places great emphasis on) these metaphysical commitments. Disentangling these commitments from our present-day monotheistic understanding of the soul/psyche is understandably difficult as a result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It may also be very difficult to translate text without having one's own upbringing influence the text which would also lead to misunderstanding of the psyche.

      Delete